- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil Substituted 1/4c applesauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). I baked at 350 for minis
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil. Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. The batter will be lumpy. Pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan cups.
- Variations: Blueberry Muffins: Add 1 cup fresh blueberries. Raisin Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped raisins. Date Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped dates. Cheese Muffins: Fold in 1 cup grated sharp yellow cheese. Bacon Muffins: Fold 1/4 cup crisp cooked bacon, broken into bits.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden. I checked first at 10 minutes, but they took about 15 in all.
This was not a bad recipe per se, and I (and The Boy) can't stop snacking on them, but there's something missing from them. I wonder what whole wheat flour would do, or maybe substituting brown sugar for some of the white. In reading some of the reviews on allrecipes, others suggested using a diced apple with some vanilla and cinnamon; that sounds delicious!!